Table of Contents
This is the last month of infancy for your 11-month-old baby before they enter their first year or complete 12 months. As per the American Academy Of Pediatrics, expect the little one to not be so little in a month as they grow up to form their own personality and be independent.
As for the baby’s development is concerned, get ready for the baby to take their first steps anytime now in this month. Nonetheless, if your child doesn’t start to walk as yet, you need not worry as each baby has its own growing pace with baby evidence-based observations of children standing up by one year to as late as 18 months. To know more about your baby this month, read on as Parenthood bliss has accumulated this article with everything you need to know this month.
Your 11-month-old baby milestones and growth
1. Sleeping hours and patterns
Expect an 11 months old baby to sleep for about 11 hours during the night and to also take 2-3 naps of up to three to four hours during the day. In case your baby experiences sleep regression due to the changes in their body, make sure to consult your doctor for the same.
2. Feeding requirements
An 11-month-old baby must eat about ¼ to ½ cup of grains, fruits, and vegetables with ½ cup of dairy foods, and ½ cup of protein foods in a 24 hours period. Adding on, it is completely ok for the babies to drink up to 16 to 24 oz of breastmilk/formula in a day. However, parents must now try weaning the baby’s bottle in any week during this month.
3. Your 11-month-old baby's weight
The average weight of an 11-month-old baby girl is 19.4 pounds and 20.12 for baby boys. If you observe the weight to be more or less, make sure to consult your doctor.
4. Your baby's bowel movements
Your baby at 11 months is capable of holding their head still and cruising along while holding the furniture. This the best time to get your baby an activity center, dolls, and a plush toy to help enhance their skills. Expect them to also communicate using gestures like waving bye-bye and speak new words.
What to expect from your 11-month-old baby's health?
With their first birthday approaching, you may notice that your little one isn’t so little now. With the growing physical abilities, independence and mobility, they are capable of a lot more things than they were in the past months. Here what you can expect from your baby’s health:
1. Sore throat
This is generally caused due to a viral or bacterial infection that triggers irritation in the babies. However, the symptoms can be quite hard to observe so be cautious of any move that the baby makes this month considering the sore throat.
2. Motion sickness
Motion sickness is said to occur when the little one’s inner ears, eyes, muscle, and joint nerves get conflicting signals that result in an upset stomach, fatigue, vomiting, crying, and pale skin. Make sure to consult your doctor for the same.
3. Brushing their teeth
With the baby’s teeth sprouting out, it is important for parents to take good care of those little tiny teeth for good dental health. As per the pediatric dentists, one must clean the baby’s gums post every feeding by using a soft damp cloth or a rubber/silicone finger brush.
Taking care of your 11-month-old baby: Quick tips and tricks
As your baby is about to enter its first year there are various motor skills and emotional outbursts that you can expect your baby to experience. Nonetheless, as they are growing to be mostly independent or try to be one until 4 years of age, the parents are expected to take care of their children with added attention. Here is how:
1. Your baby's care
At 11 months of age, your baby is expected to learn how to take care of themselves even in small significant ways.
- They will be able to swig the milk from the sippy cup and also self-feed themselves with solids and finger food. Perhaps, make sure to place a baby bib on them to avoid messing their clothes up.
- As they learn and build on their language, make sure to continue talking to them and not in a baby language. This will help them pick new words, learn a few, and express themselves better.
- As your baby now learns to grasp onto objects, make sure the house is baby-proofed.
- Expect your baby to be mischievous too, therefore make sure you correct them by saying ‘no’ as they would then learn to understand that what they are doing is incorrect.
2. Taking your baby to the park
With your 11-month-old baby building onto their developmental skills and acquiring the milestones, it becomes important for them to also learn to socialize while going for play-dates with babies of similar ages around the neighborhood or going to the park and exercise their hands and build their hand-eye coordination when getting onto the slides and swings.
Perhaps babies might get used to the routine at this early stage and also enhance their motor skills milestone well enough. Make sure to put their walking shoes on, get them into the stroller, pack a diaper bag with their favorite toys and everything they would need
Postpartum changes and pro tips:
Here are a few tips to help you in the parenting process:
1. The iron intake
Are you feeling tired more often with the completion of the first year or 12 months? If yes, this could be a sign of your being low in the intake of the iron mineral.
- As per the American Academy Of Pediatrics, this mineral is essential especially for a mother as it provides a nutrient that helps make the hemoglobin in red blood cells that is also responsible for shuttling the oxygen via the lungs to the cells present throughout the body. This is why you feel tired when there is a low supplement of oxygen.
- To help you build it back, have lean cuts or a cut with 10 grams per 3.5-ounce, or roast, and quinoa. When prepared, have it along with dark, leafy greens, like kale or Swiss chard that are a good source of vitamin C to help absorb the iron.
2. Pet safety rules for houses with both, pets and babies
Here are a few things you need to be sure of when you have a pet along with the little one:
- Do not leave the toddler alone with the pet.
- Make sure to install baby gates for stairs and doors to help you keep the pet away from the baby’s room.
- You must make sure that the pet is well trained or/and understand the safety around the toddler. In case they are aware it is good, but if not you need to take safety measures.
A baby’s development at 11 months is quite crucial as this is the month for them to acquire other milestones, learn to observe, transform more into being independent and take a step towards self-care.
Perhaps, the one thing parents must keep in mind is that all of this is a good sign and they aren’t growing up for the better. In most cases, it is observed for the parents to face postpartum blues as the baby now learns to grow and be independent this time around who once was solely dependent on you. The best way to prevent this is to organize and have bonding sessions with your little toddler, read to them, play games, sing songs, dance together, etc.