Table of Contents
10-month-old baby’s development would seem to pace up, with a transition from tasty foods to anything and everything they can find, in and around the house. While they might have started calling out ‘mama’ or ‘dada,’ expect them to also acquire certain physical milestones as your little munchkin, their 40th week would rather resemble an explorer.
Most babies will be found preoccupied with getting into and out of things they shouldn’t. Therefore, to be cautious and safe, we recommend baby-proofing your house, if you haven’t already! Expect crawling, standing, cruising, and even walking as a part of the baby’s developmental agenda. There might also be separation anxiety in full force in your 10-month-old baby too.
To know what else you can expect from your 10-month-old baby, read on!
Your 10-Month-Old Baby Milestones And Growth
1. Sleeping hours and patterns
At 10-months, your baby is expected to sleep for about 11 hours at night. This month, they might also take two quick daily naps up to two to three hours, after their meals and playtime.
2. Feeding requirements
With the babies increasing their skills this month, you can expect the little ones to eat about ¼ to ½ cup each of grains, fruit, and veggies with ¼ to ½ cup of dairy foods, and ¼ to ½ cup of protein foods, as a part of their daily meals. Nonetheless, they can also drink up to 24 to 30 ounces per day of breast milk or formula in 24 hours.
Tip – Since the child in their 10th month is more focused on solids, make sure to pick the best and healthier options available in the organic food options with a sippy cup to accompany their meal! Make sure to start the weaning process for your baby now and get them to agree at around 12 months. This is because extra usage could cost the baby their healthy teeth.
2. Your 10-month-old baby weight
The average weight of a 10-month-old baby girl is 18.11 pounds and 20.3 for baby boys. If more or less, make sure to consult your doctor.
3. Your baby's bowel movements
A 10-month-old baby is expected to be adventurous and perhaps, build on their ability to crawl, cruise, or walk unassisted and develop good vision and language skills. Expect them to also stretch their arms out and wave bye-bye, play patty-cake, and blow kisses.
Most importantly, be aware of the babies to build upon and show signs of separation anxiety this month. Therefore, it’s best to help them sleep train while parents make sure to make them feel assured of their love and have constant bonding sessions. Do not worry, this is just a normal part of a ten-month-old baby.
What To Expect From Your 10-Month-Old Baby's Pediatrician Visit?
Along with your baby’s development milestones, the parents need to pay attention to the child’s health during their baby’s first year. However, there is no doctor’s visit this month, there are a few other things that you would need to be aware of this month to help maintain the baby’s health and encourage them to strengthen their body for the upcoming changes. Here are a few things that you can expect or observe in your 10-month-old baby:
Antibiotics are responsible for treating any infection that is caused by bacteria, however, in general, the majority of childhood illnesses are caused by viruses. This is why giving babies antibiotics could be unnecessarily problematic as they wipe out the “good” bacteria in their bodies, leading to antibiotic resistance and yeast infection in children.
We are sure that parents might be having a gala time with their toddlers when outside for walks and playdates. However, when outside, there is a huge chance for the baby to get sunburned as their skin is thin and delicate. So, make sure you apply sunscreen lotion on your baby and have them wear comfortable clothes in a shaded umbrella stroller.
3. Lyme disease
This isn’t a point of concern but the baby can have Lyme disease. This is transmitted through deer ticks during spring and summer months, mostly in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and north-central areas of the U.S. In case you happen to notice a red, circular-shaped bull’s-eye rash at or around the site of the tick bite, it could be a sign of Lyme disease. Make sure to call your doctor immediately in that case.
Taking Care Of Your 10-Month-Old Baby: Quick Tips And Tricks
The baby development milestones in the first year for every baby are drastic, therefore, here are a few tips that we would like to let you know as parents of a 10-month-old baby.
At 10 Months, Your Baby Must Be Introduced To A Sippy Cup
- In case you haven’t already introduced a sippy cup to your baby’s meal table, then it is about time to do so this month. This is true irrespective of whether you switch from sippy to cup, from breast to cup, or a baby bottle to a sippy cup, it requires practice and patience, both from the infant and the parents.
- In case neither of the parenting tips is working, we recommend styling the cup instead. This will make it more attractive for the baby to start and drink from it. The other way is to allow them to pick their favorite one as it gives them a sense of control.
- Try and introduce different kinds, such as those with straws, ones without, or even cups that have magical gimmicks and change colors. The more unique, the better
- You need to make this happen as extra use of baby bottles could affect their dental health.
10-Month-Old Baby's Development And Attention Span
- Expect your baby to learn new words (although mostly babbling), understand sounds, and develop other motor and coordination skills. However, the most common is their exploring habit this month.
- As the baby’s brain cells are wired differently at birth, it makes it harder for them to screen out the stimulation.
- Also, at 40 weeks, most babies tend to have a divided attention span as they are mostly aware of their surroundings, such as the dog barking, the TV, the music in the background, etc. This is why if you wish for your baby to have a better concentration while you teach the infant, put them in a quiet and sim place.
- You could expect your baby to also bite on toys while they play which could be a choking hazard. Parents must make sure to teach the little one to stop when you ask them to by simply saying “NO.”
Postpartum Changes And Pro Tips:
Here are a few pro tips to help you in the postpartum months:
The 10-Months-Old Baby's Care
- As you might travel most of the time with your baby, it is the best option to opt for a convertible car seat for the infant and also keep the toys constrained to their car seat to avoid any distractions while driving.
- Since they are inclining more on solids this month, try and introduce a proper diet packed with nutritious food as early as possible, including lots of fruits, veggies, and omega-3s.
- Get in touch with your doctor with regards to your little one’s vitamins and probiotics and help boost their immune system.
- Although not regularly concerning this month, make sure to keep the baby’s shots up-to-date.
When Is It Urgent To Talk To A Doctor?
- In case your baby is throwing tantrums and holding their breath, it could be a dangerous habit to keep. Consult your doctor and provide the baby with iron supplements.
- In case the baby falls while exploring and has a swollen area, a cut, or a bruise, contact your pediatrician immediately.
- In the rarest of rare situations, if the baby has Lyme disease or shows any signs and symptoms.
Concerns And Ways To Support Infants Of 10-Months-Old
At this age, a baby is expected to inculcate various milestones and begin to explore in and around the house, having their adventure ride. However, parents must make sure that they are kept away from areas that could be rather dangerous for them to enter and play in. For this, Parenthood Bliss recommends using baby gates for doorways and baby gates for stairs in addition to baby-proofing their house.
Also, as your baby tries to learn a few new things and develop their skill set, make sure to always encourage and praise them while ensuring binding sessions with the little munchkin!