Table of Contents
Your baby's forty-two weeks after birth
Your 42-week-old baby, You can expect a 42nd weeker to start being a great problem solver at this young age. However, this involves them trying to reach their favorite toy that is kept away or far off their reach, be it by pushing towards it or trying to reach or cry out to someone around until they get what they need. This means your baby is all ready to build on their cognitive skills at 42 weeks
On the other hand, they will still have issues while sleeping due to their separation anxiety, perhaps, you will need to spend more time consoling and comforting the baby during the night. However, on the contrary, be prepared to find chewed paper and boxes all around the floor in the day as your 42 weeks old baby begins to move, run, and crawl all around the house, much more confidently. To know more about and what you may expect from the little one, read one!
Your 42-week-old baby's development and physical growth
Let us now understand what happens with the little one in their forty-two-week after birth in terms of baby’s development in the forty-two-week after birth.
Your baby’s weight:
- Expect your baby to weigh between anything from 18.11 lbs to 20.3 lbs. Nonetheless, if you observe the weight to be more or less, contact your doctor in order to be on the safer end.
Your baby’s sleep:
- As a part of your baby’s development, they might tend to still crawl more than they walk. This results in an increase in the baby’s activity while influencing their ability to regulate their movement, resulting in instability that leads to wakefulness at night.
- As parents, it could be difficult to see your baby in pain, but it is a part of their development in order to enhance the baby’s mobility and teething. You can also opt to use teethers for the baby after consulting your doctor.
- Try to sing and comfort the little one more and provide a small piece of cold food like a watermelon post consulting your doctor. However, if the baby doesn’t seem to be sleeping better, consult your doctor immediately.
Your baby’s diet
- The eating patterns might change this week as the 42-week old baby happens to change its feeding behaviors. This could be due to them adjusting to solid food with breast milk.
- Expect the baby to skip a meal a day or two and do not worry as the breast milk takes care of the nutrition otherwise.
- A baby might also not need a bottle and may use a sippy cup instead. So, in case you are away, make sure to store your breastmilk for the caregiver to give.
Your 42-week-old baby's health
A 42-week old baby or ten months old is acquiring major milestones and visiting the doctor for a check-up counts as one. Here’s what you can expect from the visit to the baby’s doctor:
Expect the doctor to check the baby’s height and weight in order to track the baby’s growth and development.
- Blood test
The doctor may also opt for a blood test for the baby to check the levels of iron, hemoglobin, or anemia in the baby.
Be prepared for the baby ( still to complete the first year) to get a final shot for the Hepatitis B vaccine, a dose of the influenza vaccine, and the third dose of the IPV (polio) vaccine anytime between 6-18 months.
Postpartum baby tips: Week 42 after birth
Your baby at 42 weeks is already acquiring and achieving major physical and cognitive skills, therefore, here are a few tips and things that parents must be aware of during this week to be well prepared for advice.
Your baby's brain development at 42 weeks after birth
- At 42 weeks or 10 months, expect the baby to start grasping concepts like time, distance, depth, cause, and effect that they will intend to incorporate while playing. For instance, they will be able to knock the cones placed at a distance, could arrange different sizes of rings in a plastic stand, separate different colors, etc.
- They will still be excited and will be able to grasp certain properties of objects by crumpling, ripping, tasting, and throwing, which in return increases their dexterous hands.
- The baby might be able to project different emotions, ranging from laughter to sad to sleep-like.
- The little one might also be able to smack their lips and murmur or stamp their feet while listening to their favorite music piece, or even dance as per their choice and mood.
Your baby's physical development in week 42
Here what you can expect from a 42 weeker in terms of their physical development:
- They will be able to get into a sitting position from lying on their stomach
- Will learn to walk fast while holding onto some furniture. So make sure to place some cushions in a hurt-prone area
- Will understand a ‘NO’ from you
- The baby will be able to clap and wave at you
- Can bend while standing or even pinch objects between their tiny fingers
- Can roll around on the floor. So, try to place playmats instead.
- Will be able to understand instructions like ‘come to mama’ when accompanied with gestures
- Your baby will be able to solve their problem
The need for games for your baby in order to build motor skills
- Play games with your baby that involve simple instructions. For example, place a teddy somewhere around and ask the little one, ‘Where’s your teddy?’ This helps enhance the problem-solving skills of your baby.
- Play games like putting the toys back in the box. This game will encourage them to understand the need of keeping the place clean.
- Sit across and ask your baby to come to you. This is the best way to help develop motor skills
The parents after childbirth of a 42-week old baby: What is happening and what to expect in their forty-two-week after giving birth?
Here are a few tips for our parents to help them simplify their journey with their 42nd-week old baby:
Understanding basic care routines for your baby
- Use baby soaps and shampoos to avoid irritation and a chemical reaction
- Avoid using any clips and bands for the baby as they could cause choking hazards in your baby. Instead, use baby headbands as they are made from materials that are safe for the babies.
- Use a baby nail clipper when the baby is asleep to avoid any scratches and dirt.
- Use a sippy cup that is easy-to-hold
Understanding your baby's health and the urgent need of a doctor
Listed below are a few instances where parents must consult a doctor regarding their 42-week old baby during this week:
- Contact your doctor if the baby experienced an insect sting or a bite as it can be harmful to the baby’s health if it stays red and your baby experiences fever. Also remember, if you notice a sting on your baby, remove it by scraping it, and also wash the area with water and soap, and then apply an ice-pack or baking soda to relieve the pain.
- If your baby is wheezing, has trouble breathing, has a rash, experiencing swelling on the tongue, hands, or face, you could need to consult a doctor as it might be due to an allergic reaction or an anaphylactic shock.
Your baby at the 42nd week is becoming a more active and responsible child in terms of its own growth and development. However, you can expect yourself to run around and feel more like a parent now as compared to before, as the little one would now like to move around from one place to the other at a better speed and would perhaps be messing their play area