Table of Contents
Many parents have their doubts about the right time to start brushing their kid’s’ teeth. Some parents believe that their young one’s’ teeth are going to be replaced by their permanent teeth in a few short years and hence it is not that important to brush as a habit yet. While some parents introduce brushing and maintaining good oral hygiene quite early in their kid’s’ lives. Regardless of the age, it is important to teach your kids the importance of brushing as soon as possible as this habit prevents cavities, gum disease, and tooth loss.
Well, kids being kids, it is important to watch over them as they learn this habit because they might gulp the toothpaste as they are brushing their teeth, mainly due to its sweet taste. Therefore, it is crucial to choose the best toothpaste for your kids to keep their mouths clean and healthy. And to make it easy for you to choose, we have listed some of the best kinds of toothpaste that you should keep in mind while purchasing one.
Quick Note: Always look for fluoridated toothpaste for yourself and your kid as it is an essential mineral that strengthens teeth and prevents tooth decay and gum disease.
Best Toothpaste For Your Kids
The aforementioned kinds of toothpaste are some of the best choices for your kids. Now let’s talk about their pros and cons in detail.
1. Aquafresh Kids Cavity Protection Toothpaste with a Pump - Best Toothpaste For Your Kids
- Easy to use due to its pump. Just a gentle on top and the nozzle will let out the toothpaste.
- The pump releases the exact amount of toothpaste needed
- The pump keeps it clean while applying the paste onto the brush
- It contains calcium and fluoride to make the teeth stronger is used regularly
- Few kids may not like the taste as they might find it to be strong
This is one of the best toothpaste for your kids due to its easy-to-use packaging and not just this, it protects your kid’s mouth from bad breath, cavities, and tartar.
2. Taners Tasty Paste Vanilla Bling Toothpaste - Best Toothpaste For Your Kids
- Kids will be absolutely excited to brushing their teeth with the sweet vanilla flavor
- It is gluten, sulfate, and sugar-free
- The one of a kind flavor works for kids who find regular kinds of toothpaste too minty
Its best for preteens since young kids might be tempted to gulp it due to the vanilla flavor
If you want your kids to be excited about toothpaste that has great flavor, this one will become their favorite.
3. Cali White Activated Charcoal Whitening Toothpaste - Best Toothpaste For Your Kids
- Its vegan, chemical and cruelty-free
- It is clinically proven to lighten teeth shades up to 7.7
- It removes bad breath with its mint flavor
- The might be a bit unpleasant for very young kids
- Its fluoride-free so it is not ideal for long-term use
This toothpaste is free from fluoride and is a great option to remove stains and plaque.
4. Colgate’s Cavity Protection For Kids - Best Toothpaste For Your Kids
- Parents might find the toothpaste overpriced for the size of the tube
Colgate is one of the best fluoride toothpaste for your kids. It is a world-renowned brand and it is a common household name trusted by parents and dentists alike.
5. Cali White Vitamin B12 Vegan Whitening Toothpaste - Best Toothpaste For Your Kids
- It is tested and proven to elevate B12 levels
- It’s chemical-free
- It is a vegan toothpaste
- Kids’ might feel a little burning tingle on their tongue
This Vitamin infused toothpaste is one of the best toothpaste for your kids as it is made to reduce growth of bacteria, cavities, and tooth decay all while protecting enamel, a thin outer covering of the tooth.
6. Orajel Anticavity Toothpaste - Best Toothpaste For Your Kids
- Fluoride in the toothpaste provides an ample amount of dental protection
- Many parents mentioned that is ideal for kids with delicate taste buds
- Pediatricians and dentists recommend Orajel in USA
- It doesn’t foam much which doesn’t affect its cleaning abilities
This toothpaste has several cartoon characters on its packaging, something that will make kids excited for morning and night brushing.
7. Tom’s of Maine Children’s Toothpaste - Best Toothpaste For Your Kids
- While manufacturing this toothpaste, actual strawberry juice is added so the strawberry taste is natural
- No artificial flavors, dyes, sweetness, or preservatives are added to the toothpaste
- It’s a vegan and cruelty-free product
- Kids who don’t like strawberry may not use it
Tom’s of Maine toothpaste offers thorough oral care along with delicious flavor.
8. Hello Kids Fluoride Toothpaste - Best Toothpaste For Your Kids
- It is free from artificial preservatives, dyes, and sweeteners
- It is free from chemicals such as lauryl sulfate and other sulfates
- It keeps bad breath in check
- It isn’t animals tested and is vegan
The toothpaste with fluoride is available in only a few flavors
The Hello Oral Care is free from harmful chemicals and keeps your kid’s’ teeth strong
9. PRO-SYS Kids Fluoride Toothgel - Best Toothpaste For Your Kids
- The gel creates good amount of foams and the bubble gum flavor is loved by kids instantly
- It is free from Triclosan, an antibacterial compound
- It is endorsed by ADA
The toothpaste has a slight minty flavor that the kids didn’t like as much
If your kid loves gel-based kinds of toothpaste the PRO-SYS kids bubblegum fluoride tooth gel is the one to go for.
10. Tom’s of Maine Children’s Fluoride Anticavity Gel - Best Toothpaste For Your Kids
- It is completely transparent and does not have any artificial colors
- The get does not have any added preservatives and fragrances
- It uses natural flavor
- It is an ADA approved tooth gel
- Few kids loved the taste while others outright disliked it
It is one of the safest fluoride toothpaste for your kids in a gel form that keeps their teeth clean
11. The Humble Co. Kids Natural Toothpaste - Best Toothpaste For Your Kids
- The natural ingredients firm up the teeth
- It is a vegan toothpaste
- All children may not be like the taste
As the name suggests, this toothpaste has a reasonable quantity of natural ingredients that provide overall dental care
12. Kids Crest Cavity Protection Toothpaste - Best Toothpaste For Your Kids
- The light flavor may work great with kids who have sensitive taste buds
- It is ADA approved
- Few buyers might find the toothpaste a bit overpriced for the size of the tube
The Kids Crest toothpaste is developed to provide maximum dental protection and thorough oral care
13. Colgate Kids Minions Cavity and Enamel Protection Toothpaste
- Minions on the packaging gets the kids excited for brushing time
- The toothpaste is gluten and sugar-free
- It has a fruity and mild flavor
- The toothpaste’s color might disappoint some kids as Minions are yellow
It offers a complete package of protection for kids’ overall oral health
How To Select the Right Toothpaste For Your Kids?
As kids can be sensitive to a lot of ingredients present in toothpaste, you have to carefully pick a toothpaste that suits your kid the best. Here are a few things a toothpaste must have:
- Fluoridated Toothpaste: While choosing a toothpaste ensure that it has fluoride as it hardens the enamel of the teeth and saves them from acids created by the mouth’s bacteria. Using fluoridated toothpaste to brush the teeth regularly keeps the teeth healthy. Be sure to use a pea-sized volume of toothpaste on the toothbrush and also ensure that your child spits the foam after they brush.
- Look for added preservatives: Toothpastes made for adults may contain ingredients that might not be appropriate for children. While picking a toothpaste look for added compounds as they are not good for kids.
- Pick kid-friendly flavors: Building a daily brushing habit is tough for kids and therefore parents should pick a mild flavor such as bubble gum, cotton candy, and strawberries to keep it easy for the kids.
Picking the perfect toothpaste is the first move towards building the habit of brushing their teeth twice a day, which is highly recommended. For kids below three years use a smear of toothpaste and for children above three years use a pea-sized volume.
Tips for Brushing Your Child’s Teeth
At first, some kids despise brushing their teeth while others enjoy building this habit. If your kids aren’t big fans of brushing their teeth, here are a few tips:
- Make it fun by either singing a song or making brushing noises or anything else that makes brushing time enjoyable. Undoubtedly, it takes patience and persistence on parent’s part to build the habit.
- Children learn by watching so it may be better to ask other family members to show them how to brush
- Ensure that kids thoroughly brush from the front, back, and even the chewing surfaces
- Make sure that your kids keep brushing for at least two minutes. Playing a video of children brushing their teeth might help
- There are a lot of dentist storybooks that might help teach kids about brushing their teeth
- If your kid hates the taste of toothpaste then try brushing without paste. After a few days use a smear of toothpaste to get them used to the taste.
- Try using the reward system for kids older than three years. For instance, create a goal on the calendar to brush twice a day and once the kids reach the goal, reward them.
Best Toothpaste For Your Kids Final Words
Building the healthy habit of brushing their teeth is important for kids as it protects them from gum diseases, cavities, tartar, and plaque. And the first important step for building this habit is choosing the best toothpaste for your kids that protects their teeth from germs and strengthen them in the process.
Best Toothpaste For Your Kids FAQs
1. What is the best toothpaste for a 6-year-old?
2. At what age can a child use fluoride toothpaste?
3. Is fluoride toothpaste better?
4. What kind of toothbrush should a 10-year-old use?
5. What should I look for in kids’ toothpaste?
Reviewed By –