Table of Contents
Probiotics: What Are Probiotics & Why Do You Need Them?
Probiotics, often nicknamed “good bacteria,” are supplements that aim to support digestive health and a healthy gastrointestinal microflora or microbiome in individuals of all ages. A microbiome is a colony of bacteria that lives within your body. It’s made up of both beneficial and harmful bacteria, viruses, and fungus.
These good bacterias are present in your gastrointestinal tract, urogenital tract as well as in your saliva and skin.
But what is the need for probiotics for toddlers?
Probiotics are fed to newborns during their first three months of life to reduce digestive disorders including,
- Acid reflux
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
Apart from digestive issues, gut-healthy bacteria may also help to avoid allergies and treat skin conditions like eczema.
Good bacterias aid digestion, nutrition absorption, and the fight against infections that make your toddler ill. Intaking probiotics has been lowering frequent respiratory tract illnesses in youngsters as well.
Probiotic Food Vs. Probiotic Supplements
Certain foods, such as cultured cottage cheese and yogurt, contain probiotics. Fermented foods including sauerkraut, kefir as well as buttermilk contain these naturally. Another option is raw cheese prepared from unpasteurized milk.
Although some experts believe that raw milk and products made out of it have health benefits, they should not be offered to kids and toddlers. Raw milk may include germs that are harmful to your health. It has the potential to induce life-threatening diseases.
Probiotics are also available in the form of supplements as well. Naturally, the next important question you might have in mind can be can you replace probiotic foods with probiotic supplements?
Well, the answer to this question isn’t very simple.
The greatest way to get nutrients is to eat complete meals. However, your toddler may not be able to acquire enough probiotics from diet alone. In that case, you have to get your hands on the best probiotics for toddlers available in the market.
When you buy probiotic pills, you should check if it contains exactly what they claim. It is best to consult a pediatrician to inquire about good probiotics for toddlers.
How To Choose The Best Probiotic For Toddlers?
Now that we know what probiotics are and why your toddler needs them, we must learn about a few essential parameters to consider when buying the best probiotic for toddlers:
Strain And Count
When selecting a probiotic supplement, it is critical to evaluate the strain as well as the amount of CFU (colony forming units). Certain bacterial strains may be advantageous for various health conditions.
Consult your child’s pediatrician to determine the strain and number of CFUs are acceptable at your child’s age.
Probiotic supplements are available in a number of formulations, such as chewable pills, powders, flavored gummies, and liquids. Consider getting a liquid or powder supplement if your kid does not want to chew probiotic tablets or pills.
Chewable pills and gummies could be more suited to older youngsters.
Probiotics are categorized as dietary supplements in the United States. Look for products that have been approved by ConsumerLab, US Pharmacopeia, or NSF International, to assure safety.
Always consult with your doctor to confirm which probiotics are suitable for their specific requirements.
We have listed the top 11 safest and best probiotics for toddlers.
11 Best Probiotics For Toddlers
Worrying about your fussy toddler? Well, there’s a probiotic supplement for every taste and preference, whether your little one loves chewable, gummies, liquids, or powders.
Let’s take a look at the 11 best probiotics for toddlers.
- Biocodex Floraster Kids
- Culturelle Kids Daily Probiotic Packets
- Everidis Health Sciences BioGaia Protectis Probiotic Drops
- Garden of Life Organic Kids+ Probiotic
- Lovebug Probiotics Toddler Probiotics Packets
- Mommy’s Bliss Probiotic Drops
- Nordic Naturals Kids Nordic Flora Probiotic Gummies
- Now Foods BerryDophilus Kids
- Pedia-Lax Probiotic Yums
- Renew Life Ultimate Flora Kids Probiotics
- SmartyPants Kids Probiotic Immunity Formula
Now that we have the list of the best probiotics for toddlers, let’s take a closer look at each of these probiotics for toddlers, what they contain and how to use them.
1. Biocodex Florastor Kids
Biocodex Florastor Kids is a probiotic for toddlers in powder form, which is organically enriched with tutti-frutti flavored, thus keeping your toddler’s gut as well as taste buds happy.
- Support good digestion in children aged 2 months and above by ensuring a balance in the natural flora in their digestive tract
- Helps with the absorption of water and other nutrients
- No gluten, not genetically modified
How To Use?
You can simply mix the contents of the Biocodex Florastor Kids powder in a tumbler of cool water or other beverage.
2. Culturelle Kids Daily Probiotic Packets
Culturelle makes the best probiotics for toddlers as well as adults (separate variants, of course!) These probiotics are available in the form of gummies as well as powder and are packed with an amazing berry flavor that your toddler is sure to love.
- Best suited for kids above 3 years of age; can consume 1 gummy daily
- Helps keep tummy troubles at bay
- Vegan, not genetically modified; also does not contain caffeine or other stimulants
- Available in two variants: gummies and powder
How To Use?
You can simply mix the contents of the Culturelle Kids Daily Probiotic Packet’s powder in a tumbler of cool water or other beverage.
3. Everidis Health Sciences BioGaia Protectis Probiotic Drops
Is your newborn suffering from stomach pain? The Everidis Health Sciences BioGaia Protectis Probiotic Drops can easily relieve your baby from colic or other digestive discomforts.
- Safe for newborns
- Help to minimize screaming and fussing, lessen vomiting, and encourage regular passing of stool
- Available in a handy squeeze container
How To Use?
Combine five drops of the probiotic with breast milk, room temperature food, or even formula.
4. Garden of Life Organic Kids+ Probiotic
No sugar, no sweetener, fortified with vitamins. The Garden of Life Organic Kids+ Probiotic ticks off all the criteria of good probiotics for toddlers.
- Safe for four-year-old kids and older
- Boosts your toddler’s immunity and gut health (thanks to added prebiotic fibers)
- Available in the form of chewable
- Fortified with vitamin C and D
How To Use?
The Garden of Life Organic Kids+ Probiotic can easily be chewed by kids aged four or above.
5. Lovebug Probiotics Toddler Probiotics Packets
Does your little one refuse to take chewable or gummy? The Lovebug Probiotics Toddler Probiotics Packets is one of the best probiotics for toddlers who have fussy eating habits.
Each single-serve container of Lovebug Probiotics Toddler Probiotics has fifteen billion live cultures.
- Contains eight types of bacteria, including Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, Bifidum lactis, and Lactobacillus reuteri, which are not found in many probiotic powders
- Ideal for children 12 months to 4 years
- Available in powder form
How To Use?
You can simply mix the contents of the Lovebug Probiotics Toddler Probiotics Packet’s powder in a tumbler of cool water or other beverage.
6. Mommy's Bliss Probiotic Drops
A happy tummy starts with a healthy gut, and Mommy’s Bliss Probiotic Drop does exactly that by supporting your child’s digestive system as it digests food and absorbs vitamins.
- Helps relieve gas and colic by boosting digestive health and providing immune support
- No added flavors or colors, no alcohol, no artificial sugar, and free of the top 8 allergens
How To Use?
It can be spoon-fed, blended with breast milk or formula, or administered directly to the breast while breastfeeding. Pediatricians suggest using 5 drops daily.
7. Nordic Naturals Kids Nordic Flora Probiotic Gummies
What’s better than gummies? Gummies with the goodness of probiotics and prebiotic fiber! The Nordic Flora Probiotic Gummies by Nordic Naturals are trusted by millions of mothers for it has the perfect amount of “good” bacteria (over a billion CFU per serving) for your little’s one tummy.
- Safe for 2 to 4 years
- Berry flavored gummies
- Not genetically modified, and no gluten, vegan
- Does not contain artificial sweeteners, colors, and flavors
How To Use?
Use one gummy each day for two to three years. Two gummies per day for the past four years. Take one capsule just before a meal, ideally breakfast, or as prescribed by your doctor or pharmacist.
Please make sure your little ones chew each gummy completely.
8. Now Foods BerryDophilus Kids
Your toddlers will love the animal-shaped berry-flavored gummies. And you’re gonna love the fact that they’re supporting your child’s gastrointestinal health and providing a healthy immune system functioning.
- 2 billion CFU from a blend of 10 clinically identified probiotic bacterial strains
- Will not harm teeth
- Available in the form of chewable, liquids as well as gummies
How To Use?
Chewables and gummies can be consumed directly. Liquids can be taken either directly or by mixing with water, formula, or other beverage.
9. Pedia-Lax Probiotic Yums
As many living cultures as a cup of yogurt are packed into these strawberry chewable. Pedia-Lax Probiotic Yums maintain a healthy digestive balance by promoting beneficial bacteria. Its most unique feature is that it claims to relieve constipation in 30 minutes to 6 hours time.
- Ideal for kids from 2 to 11 years of age
- Free of gluten, colors, soy, sugar, preservatives among others
- Available in the form of chewable tablets
How To Use?
Kids can directly chew the tablets.
10. Renew Life Ultimate Flora Kids Probiotics
With three billion active cultures and six probiotic strains, the Renew Life Ultimate Flora Kids Probiotics is one of the best probiotics for toddlers.
- Ideal for children aged 2 years or older
- Free of soy, gluten, and dairy
- Relieves stomach ache and maintains digestive balance
- Available in the form of berry-flavored tablets
How To Use?
The Renew Life Ultimate Flora Kids Probiotics can easily be chewed by kids aged two or above.
11. SmartyPants Kids Probiotic Immunity Formula
Gummies are a tasty, fun, and simple method for kids to get their probiotics in if they are fussy about chewable pills, liquid, or powder. The Non-GMO Project Verified gummies are made with just high-quality ingredients and have low sugar content.
- Ideal for kids aged 3 years and above
- Contains four billion CFU of probiotics
- Promotes your child’s digestive and immunological health
- Does not contain the eight food allergens, including eggs, fish, milk, peanut, wheat, and others
- Available in the form of gummies
How To Use?
Kids can consume the gummies directly.
Are Probiotics Good For Toddlers? Final Words
The long-term effects of probiotics on children are yet to be fully proven. It is thus best to include probiotic items in your child’s diet to help them maintain a healthy gut microbiome. Make sure the probiotic-rich food item you buy, such as yogurt, for example, has “live and active cultures” on the label.
However, before adding probiotics to your child’s diet, check with their doctors to see whether they’re a good fit for them. Use this list of seven probiotics for kids as a starting point after you’ve received permission.