Table of Contents
For a child owning a pet can be the most rewarding and amazing experience. A pet well-chosen will bring tears and years of joy. Owning pets also teach kids life’s valuable lessons as they start to care for another creature. Pets teach children about dependability and responsibility along with adult guidance. And as a bonus, pets always reciprocate the child’s love making them feel loved too. Here’s a list of the eight best pets for kids.
- Arthropods and insects
- Brine shrimps
Best Pets for Kids: Let’s Get Started!
The pets you get for your kids must be easy to take care of such as fish and birds. Here we have curated a list of such easy-to-care pets for kids. Let’s read on for the details on why each of them could be your child’s best friend.
1. Best First Pets for Kids - Fish
- The perfect starter pet for a child is fish but not just any fish. The most obvious choice will be a goldfish but guess what, they are more difficult to rear than a Siamese fighting fish, otherwise known as, Betta fish.
- Goldfishes are natives of Southeast Asia who can adapt to isolation and survive in even a little amount of stagnant water. You do not even need chemicals, heaters, filters, or aerators to raise this fish.
- Betta fish can thrive best in small aquariums that can contain at least 2 gallons of water. You must regularly change the water and maintain a water temperature of 76 degrees to 82 degrees Fahrenheit which is 24 to 28 degrees centigrade. Make sure you buy Betta fish from a store that can tell you clearly how to maintain one.
2. Best Cold-blooded Pets for Kids - Reptiles
- Reptiles may seem less obvious than warm fuzzy animals because they are cold-blooded animals but certain reptiles can be your kid’s prized possession.
- Tortoises are a great option as the best pets for kids. The plant-eating Russian tortoise can live for more than 50 years.
- There are also some species of snake that will make excellent pets. However, constrictors should be avoided.
- Here comes a bonus on keeping reptiles as pets: they are non-allergenic.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics warns parents against giving reptiles as pets to their kids as they have high chances of transmitting salmonella. So make sure you do your research thoroughly and take specific care requirements whenever you are considering bringing home a reptile.
3. Best Pet Birds for Kids - Parakeet, Cockatiels, Cockatoos
- Best can be the best pet for kids although owning one can be more demanding than owning a fish or a tortoise. Some birds are very social while others are highly intelligent. Regardless, all birds require daily attention.
- Parakeets are inexpensive birds and maybe a good starter for kids and parents who haven’t been around a bird before. Cockatoos and cockatiels are more intelligent and expensive than parakeets. They also need more attention than canaries or parakeets.
4. Best Small Pet for Kids - Rodents
- Small mammals like gerbils, guinea pigs, and hamsters are relatively easier to raise. They also thrive in all small living spaces and their care routine is fairly straightforward.
- By handling them gently and regularly you will be its best friend and they will be yours too. Be careful while handling as they tend to bite when they feel threatened.
- Rats are surprisingly intelligent rodents and hence make excellent pets. Guinea pigs are also very friendly creatures that enjoy human companionship.
5. Best Pets for Kids in Small Living Space - Cats
- Kittens are a common childhood nostalgia and who can resist the fluffy feline? Savagely independent cats require somewhat less attention and care than dogs. But they do require frequent immunizations and veterinary checkups like dogs.
- You must choose a cat breed which is suitable to be around children. With limited living space, a cat as your kid’s pet will be the ideal choice.
- While adopting a cat remember that its fur can cause allergy in some people and if it is so too with your kid you might want to switch your choice of a pet. The local animal shelter will be able to advise you on the temperaments of the adoptable cats.
6. Best Pets for Kids - Dogs
- The cuddly puppy is the most classic kid’s pet. Choosing the ideal dog requires you to deal with a lot more than the big brown eyes because some dogs are unsuitable for children as they need to be well-socialized as well as comfortable around kids.
- All breeds of dogs need a significant amount of effort and time. They must be housebroken and need daily exercise and regular veterinary checkups with immunizations and plenty of love.
- Every kind of breed is different but typical kid-friendly breeds are:
- Golden retrievers
- Labrador retrievers
7. Best Creepy-Crawly Pets for Kids - Arthropods and Insects
- These 6 legged creatures might not be your first choice while considering the best pets for kids. However, keeping an ant farm can be an educational as well as entertaining experience for your kids.
- There are various supplies out there that sell habitats designed to let kids observe the activities of the ants. Ants can be grown from eggs or shipped live into the habitats.
- Hermit crabs are yet another example of the best creepy-crawly pets for kids. These can be raised easily in captivity.
8. Best Pets for Young Kids - Brine Shrimps
- Brine shrimps are better known as sea monkeys and are tiny crustaceans that are foolproof pets that even small children can raise. They are available in kits and you only need to add water to see these shrimps emerge and become active.
- These hardy creatures require maintenance that involves feeding about once every week and adding water occasionally to combat evaporation. A shrimp colony can thrive for more than 1 year with minimal care.
How Do You Care For Your Pet?
Pet ownership is a serious business with an ongoing financial commitment because they require regular attention, care, and maintenance. Caring for a pet can teach you about love, care, selflessness, and responsibility among other qualities. Remember that your kid needs to be under your supervision while dealing with certain pets like reptiles.
The Bottom Line: Should I Buy My Kid a Pet?
Pets can be a very positive experience for young kids as they provide entertainment and educational opportunities. More importantly, they offer your kids companionship. Pets like dogs remember and love their carer unconditionally. Hope our list of the best pets for kids helped you and your kid find your own.