Table of Contents
Building toys are generally most loved among children as it helps them spark their imagination and creativity. It is super fun to build and construct toys and helps challenge children’s thinking, boosts motor skills, and collaborative fun.
However, there is a huge variety of best building toys for kids in the market which makes it difficult to choose from, and selecting one out of the many requires knowledge of the product before purchasing, like the durability, high-quality sets, and safety.
15 best building toys for kids in 2021
To help you out, listed below are the top 15 building toys to choose from:
1. VIAHART Interlocking Plastic Disc Kit - Best Building Toys For Kids
This building toy features plastic material construction that is tested for safety for the use of the little ones. It builds by clicking together quickly helping the child make various shapes with different lengths. The size allows solo and collaborative play.
Besides its 500 interconnecting discs it has a durable plastic storage bag and a booklet to help the young one build various structures.
- Quality construction
- Improves coordination and dexterity
- Allows solo and collaborative play
- Countless design possibilities and hours of entertainment
- Choking hazard
2. Fat Brain Toys Squigz Starter Set - Best Building Toys For Kids
This Squigz has 24 pieces that could be a great start for innovative games and strategize in the bathtub. There are 8 pieces made from rubber often used in bath time.
Kids with higher innovative spirits also opt to purchase the Deluxe set that has 50 pieces instead of 24.
The pieces are made with different colors and shapes representing extra freedom especially as it comes with versatility.
- A set includes 24 pieces
- Based on 8 designs
- Includes pieces of different colors
- Can be paired with other Squigz in the future
- There’s a learning curve to go through
3. Building bricks 1000 pieces compatible with legos - Best Building Toys For Kids
They feature high-quality material construction with durability and the number of cubes is ideal for playdates and solo play.
The set is compatible with building blocks making a perfect addition to your existing Legos. Its variety of shapes and sizes helps increase the dimensions and build imagination enhancing creativity.
- Engaging and fun
- Builds imagination and enhances creativity
- Compatible with all major building blocks
- Great value
- The colors are slightly off
4. LEGO Junior 10667 Construction Set - Best Building Toys For Kids
This construction set features a little construction worker with a mini-figure and 160 pieces of building bricks and a wheelbarrow.
It includes high-quality plastic construction offering durability helping the younger ones with brick building skills that helps enhance creativity and imagination.
It also helps improve gross motor skills by building structures one at a time. The set includes a container too while traveling.
- Great introductory set
- Durable construction
- Easy to put together
- Compact and spacious case
- Price tag
5. Gili Mechanical Engineering STEM Toy - Best Building Toys For Kids
The toy has 361 building blocks that inspire creativity, problem-solving skills, and divergent thinking. It encourages solo and collaborative play for the little ones’ value teamwork. The Mechanical Engineering STEM Toy comes with instructions to help the little one to use to build a dump truck model or a propeller plane.
- Hours of fun
- Enhances imagination and creative play
- Entertaining and teaches teamwork
- Very challenging
6. K’NEX – 35 Model Building Set - Best Building Toys For Kids
It has 480 pieces mixed with classic micro parts that include rods and connectors of different shapes and sizes. The Model Building Set comes with multiple designs like trucks, airplanes, wings, wheels, etc.
It also has an easy step-by-step guide and enhances spatial awareness developing motor skills.
- Improves problem-solving skills
- Enhances imagination
- Many possibilities
- The pieces are too small for some reviewers liking
7. Tinkertoy 30 Model Building Set - Best Building Toys For Kids
The building features durable plastic construction and includes 30 pieces of spools, rods, flags, and washers for a successful and trouble-free building experience. The toy allows little boys and girls to have endless hours of fun as they build, learn, and play with the set.
Additionally, some parts in the kit are flexible enough to make a structure with curves. They are easy to join together with the use of the instruction sheet that allows the young one to build structures such as castles, houses, cool creatures, etc. It comes with a sturdy carry box for storage when not in use.
- Durable and portable
- Sturdy construction
- All pieces snap securely
- Flexible construction pieces
- A little challenging to put together
8. Edushape Marble Building Set - Best Building Toys For Kids
This features 202 track pieces with 50 glass marbles that measure 5/8 inches. The set comes with step-by-step instructions allowing the young one to set up a marble run. It notably features four levels of construction ranging from simple to challenging that helps enhance spatial skills and creativity. The Marble building set includes bright colored chutes, drop and spinners providing hours of fun, and encourages engineering skills and collaborative play.
- Stimulates creativity and reasoning
- Presents basic construction and engineering concepts
- Fun and vibrant colors
- It is not easy to move when assembled
9. ETI Toys Construction Engineering Blocks - Best Building Toys For Kids
It features 101 pieces that challenge the kids with creative designs like trucks, transformers, and robots enhancing creativity. Along with this, it develops gross motor skills, logical thinking, and hand-eye coordination.
It has sturdy plastic construction with an 80-page step-by-step exclusive eBook guide allowing the young one to create 12 different toys. The blocks feature in different levels ranging from easy, intermediate to advanced with easy cleaning compatibility in a sturdy carry box for storage.
- Easy to play with
- STEM resource for young learners
- Sturdy and portable carry box
- Improves problem-solving skills
- The bolts don’t hold the pieces securely
10. Deluxe Building Set - Best Building Toys For Kids
This Deluxe Building Set allows children to develop problem-solving skills and enhance critical thinking and engineering for fun and interactive ways for tactile and kinesthetic learners. It comes with 100 pieces including 46 colorful gears allowing creativity and imagination skills.
The set features sturdy plastic construction uniformly with chunky sizes of 2.5 inches encouraging creative thinking.
- Excellent STEM toy
- Improves fine motor, hand-eye coordination
- Improves fine motor, hand-eye coordination
- Strengthens critical thinking and problem-solving abilities
- Pieces pose a choking hazard
11. Melissa and Doug Wooden 100 Piece Wood Blocks Set- Best Building Toys For Kids
With this 100-piece collection of bright wooden blocks in four distinct colors and nine shapes, you’re in for hours of educational fun. As children play with this building toy, by knocking down blocks and rebuilding, they will learn early math concepts, strengthen their motor skills, and develop resilience. Parent reviewers laud this toy’s durability and praise the blocks’ low weight and suitability for younger children.
- Comes in 4 different colors and nine shapes
- Helps kids develop strong motor skills
- Made of solid wood and lightweight.
- The toys are very slippery
- Are of a very small size
12. LEGO Classic Large Creative Brick Box 10698 - Best Building Toys For Kids
This big LEGO box will attract aspiring builders. This set has 790 blocks in 33 different colors and a variety of forms, making it the ideal creative building toy. Because this kit is compatible with all other LEGO bricks, the possibilities are endless. To help encourage imagination, the package includes narrative starters and building ideas. This set packs up into its plastic storage box, which is great for families that have a lot of LEGO.
- The box has a wide range of bricks, windows, doors, frames, eyes, tires and wheel rims, plus two different sized base plates
- Has 33 different colors
- Has too many tiny pieces
13. Mega Bloks First Builders Big Building Bag - Best Building Toys For Kids
These blocks are perfect for tiny hands and are suitable for children aged one year and above. The blocks are designed specifically for younger children and are easy to grip and put together, allowing toddlers to exercise fine motor skills and problem-solving skills while playing and constructing.
The 80-piece set is inexpensive and comes with its storage bag for simple cleanup, making it an ideal toy for playdates, travel, or fun anywhere. Mega Bloks are a legendary toy for a reason, with parents praising the toy’s flexibility and enjoyment.
- 80 classic-colored building blocks, which includes special shapes
- It comes with a storage bag, where the blocks can be stored
- The size of the blocks are big and easy to manage for small kids
- The blocks are very loose and can easily fall when fully assembled
14. Coogam Wooden Sorting Stacking Toys - Best Building Toys For Kids
This geometric block-based building toy is made entirely of wood and promotes motor skills, pattern-making, counting, problem-solving, hand-eye coordination, and dexterity through peg-based stacking. This toy comes with 16 pieces that may be stacked by size, color, or pattern.
This building toy also includes a 40-inch string for older children to learn to thread. Parents like how easy it is to stack this toy for neat storage and that it is safe for children aged 3 and above.
- Supports motor skills and problem-solving skills
- Help with hand-eye coordination and dexterity
- No sharp or rough edges and the paint is durable.
- There are hole openings on the blocks, where kids fingers can get stuck
- It’s around 3 inches in size which is a very small size for kids to play with
15. Plus Plus Open Play Set 600 Piece - Best Building Toys For Kids
Plus-Plus building blocks are a wonderful STEM toy because they allow youngsters to participate in free exploratory play while also helping to develop fine motor skills, reasoning, creativity, and imagination away from screens.
This building set comes with 600 pieces, and is suitable for children aged 5 and above. Every brick links to the next, allowing children to make bright flat mosaics or complicated 3D structures. This kit contains a full concept book to stimulate creativity in addition to the blocks.
- All bricks connect very easily
- It provides fine motor skills and creativity to kids
- The instruction manual has very creative building designs
- Has very small pieces which are very hard to assemble
- Small pieces can also cause choking if kids are unmonitored while using this set
That’s all folks! These were our top 15 best picks for the best building toys for kids that help encourage the toddlers and help build motor skills and develop certain building abilities. However, speaking of skills, you could also provide your kids with the best picks of the electric cars designed for kids. These best electric cars for kids also equip the younger kids who are quite curious and wish to understand the working of the wheels on the roads, and if not they do help entertain and sharpen the memory and skills of the toddlers, as well as, their senses.
best Building Toys For Kids Final Conclusion:
You may find a variety of building toys that may come across as confusing. The list above will help you have an idea of what toys you need that will help encourage development and gross motor skills.